Saturday, January 8, 2011

It's official: Double D Farm

Just in time for breeding season...We are now officially known as Double D Farm.  I received our notification from International Dairy Goat Registry a few days ago.  Jim thought I was crazy last summer when I was trying to come up with a name for our homestead.  I was just thinking ahead, knowing that if we registered animals we would need a name.  I also received our tattoo letters.  All our goats will have DBF in their right ear.  I am so excited.



Pepper
 We took our three girls to be bred by a handsome buck named Pepper in December.  Two of our does should have kids, or freshen, the fist part of May.  Our third lady had to have a return visit with Pepper and will deliver the end of May.  I am glad that they are broken up a bit since I have no experience if anyone needs help delivering. 



Heather, Elizabeth and Jewel are all now registered as Nubian/Boer with the IDGR.  The man we bought them from said they were Alpine/Toggenburg but when I saw them I knew they had to be part Nubian....just look at those ears!  Since we didn't know for sure, the lady at the registry said she thought they looked part Boer (with their brown heads and solid white bodies).  I can see her point so I went with it.  Their kids will be registered as 75% Nubian, so they should sell fine.

I am hoping we have a couple of pretty doelings with correct udder formation come to us this spring.  I would like to sell one of our older girls with poor udders and see if we can breed that out of our herd.  We only have one doe with just two udders.  Our other does have multiple udders which is a fault.  They will be great family milkers and if that is all someone is looking for then that would be a great match.  I will have them all trained to the milking stand so I think they will sell quickly if we decide the do that.

My husband is in our garage, as I type, building a kidding house.  He thinks it will go together quickly.  I will post pictures and more details soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment